1) Only One by Yellow Card
2) I am grateful for those who sacrifice everything for sometimes what seems to be an ungrateful nation.
3) "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
Recently at my job at a portrait studio, I had the opportunity to interact and photograph a family who were all but one in Marines shirts. The one who in his class A uniform was maybe my age. The reason behind their desire to take portraits was their sons upcoming deployment. The mother told me that whenever he leaves they aren't sure if he is ever coming back. I was so moved by this family. My heart kept being drawn to his little sister and what she could possibly be feeling knowing that this may be her last opportunity to take pictures with her big brother. In my mind all I could think of was how I would feel standing next to my big brother and having that thought in my mind. This family is the epitome of what this holiday season is about.
Working in retail during the holidays, you are barraged with images of selfishness, profit and greed. You see people at their absolute worst. We get so wrapped up in making sure everything is taken care of. The presents are PERFECT, the cards are PERFECT, the tree is PERFECT, and we go mental when there is a slight mistake on our gift or Tommy won't wear the damn Santa hat in the Christmas pictures. When in the bigger picture, there are families like the previously mentioned who are on the edge of their seats waiting for their son and brother to come home safely. All the while hoping that the last Christmas they had together isn't going to be their last.
I know they probably won't see this but i would like to thank that family. They turned around my entire holiday season. That family is sacrificing a piece of themselves so we can celebrate whatever holiday we want. I love them so much and I barely know them. Every time I clutch my camera wanting to sucker punch the mother telling her three year old to "suck it in", I will remind myself that the real reason for the season is that wonderful family and that amazing decision that man made to lay down his life for us, regardless of whether we are grateful or not.
Please say a prayer for our military and their families. They don't get holidays off. You don't have to support the war to support the troops.
I love you all so much. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your families!!!
2 comments:
Nice Job Sarah. I ditto what you are saying because I am grateful for those who serve our country.
Well put Sarah...I sure love you too!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment